Sunday, May 4, 2008

Traffic! Oh Boy!

The traffic here in China is something you just have to see. I know for me it is just about more than I can take when we are on the bus. The bus driver Li, laughs when he sees me, and puts his hands over his eyes. Because this what I do for most of the ride. There are lanes on the road, but they are only suggestions, not a requirement. There are approximatly 3 million cars on the road each day. Rush hour here is from 8AM until 8AM the next morning...lol We have almost killed atleast 40 people walking or riding a bike since we have been here. They do U-turns in the middle of the road, where there is no road. If he wants our bus through and there is no lane, he will drive down the side of the road, on the side walk or meadian. Just tonight this pregnant woman walked out in front of us, and he blew the horn at her and just kept going. She almost got hit. They blow at eachother all the time. One thing I have noticed is that most Taxi's do not have A/C put they do have a horn. They come within inches of hitting each other a lot. Our driver squeezes the bus in spots that you would never believe is possible. It really is like looking at an old fashion game of frogger. People walk a lot here too, and there are no crosswalks, so you just go and hope you do not die. I have ran more in the past 3 days, for fear for my life, than I have in 3 years. If you are in the way, tuff you will be hit. I would get some pictures of this, but my eyes are always clothed..lol

Blessings,
Joy and Bryan

4 comments:

Martin West said...

I am so glad that you are having a safe trip! After being in Europe last summer for 17 days, I can identify with some of your frustrations! All I wanted when I got back to America was a big glass of anything with lots of ICE!! Good luck meeting Bella on May 5th! I know that you all are overjoyed, and I can't wait to meet her! Stay safe and do something about that GA Bulldog hat, Bryan!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Joy! I love being able to keep updated on your journey with this website! I am praying for y'all and can't wait for you to have Bella home safe and sound. I have been telling Abby about her and showing her the picture on the website. She says she wants to meet her new cousin Bella from China...where "Sagwa" lives (a cartoon cat she watches on TV from China). Stay safe and God Bless you all!

Salvador Family said...

Hi Joy!!!! Just returned home from Disneyland, had a great time, and caught up on your blog!!! I am so excited for you! It is now Monday morning there and you'll be getting Miss Bella real soon! Cannot wait to see pictures of her in your arms! Good to see you're all doing okay! Brings back memories!
Love,
Tina

Anonymous said...

Well, it is 11:30pm here in Ga and I'm so excited. By the time I get up in the morning, you should be holding Bella in your arms. How exciting! Looking forward to more updates. Stay safe - try not to get run down! LOL Love - Mary Ann