Saturday, May 3, 2008

Day 2 in Beijing

Hello All,
Today has been an adventure. We started off this morning sight seeing. We got off the bus at Tiananmen Square, and the bottom fell out. It rained all day long. We have been wet for going on 12 hours now. We just got back to the room. One thing about the Chinese, when you start a plan you finish it....NOT MATTER WHAT! We of course, as well as everyone else in our group had no rain gear. Not to worry though, the rain started and the street vendors came out with Umbrellas for sale from every corner. One Chinese lady came over to me and she opened one and held it over my head, and said 30 yuan, but before I could pay her, the police came and took her and all her umbrella's away. Not to worry she found me later for her money. The second one we bought was 20 yuan. Bryan got that one because he is a good barter. The guy took it and run off. So all in all we paid $7.00 US for the 2. And if you could see the rain and the storm that we made it through you would have paid $700.00 US for them. The rain got so bad at one time, the guide took us underground, with about 1 billion other Chinese people (it was dark down there by the way). Everyone was pushing and it was crazy. Everyone here likes to stare at westerners. They like Bryan's Georgia hat, that he of course wears everywhere. After we got out of the monsoon, we went back up top and continued our tour wet and cold. It was too funny. We laughed just about all day about it.

We movd on from there to, the Forbidden City. We walked around and took more pictures when we could, because of more rain. Nothing like standing in the middle of a thunderstorm in the middle of no where. After we left we went to lunch. A local Chinese restuarant. The food here is not the food you get back home. You sit 8 people to a table and the food comes out,you do not order. They just bring out several dishes and everyone shares, with chop sticks. It is so funny to watch all of us try and use them. I have stopped trying and just spear my food,otherwise I would starve. Bryan also can NOT do use them.

After lunch, back on the bus for a visit to the Pearl Factory, and then the Silk Factory. Both of those where very intersting. I have lots to tell you all about those. Also both where inside...no rain..lol

At the silk factory we got Bella Kate a really cute 2 peace suit. I can not wait to try it on her. Is is pink. I have a feeling that pink is going to be her favorite color.

We ended the day going to dinner. Same Chinese food as for lunch. I am missing steak and fries already. The drinks here are way differnt than at home. Nothing comes cold and you never get ice. Everything is room temperature. When you go to a resturant you can only have hot tea (unsweeten), or sprite (which is really 7up, they just call it Sprite, or Coke) there are no diet drinks available in resturants. If you want them you have to bring them with you. I have drank 2 "Sprites" today, both no ice, and room temperture. Daddy I fear, this place would be too much for your system to handle. lol

We took a group photo today, at the Square. I will show it to you all when we get home.

Well this is all for today. We love and miss you all. Kady love on my Sadie for me!! We miss her too! I will post pictures from today soon.

Blessing from China,
Joy and Bryan

1 comment:

Michelle and Mike said...

Joy & Bryan,
I am so excited that you will soon hold Bella Kate in your arms. I love keeping up with your journey as I am sure you are experiencing things you would never have dreamed of..and a journey we hope to take one day ourselves..Bella Kate is truly going to be blessed by having you as parents-and you will be equally blessed by having her as your precious daughter...
I wish you both the best as the time draws near...

Michelle
KY